Wednesday 5 September 2012

Something completely different... A Recipe!

I thought I'd take a post to share with you one of my favourite recipes. I have made these brownies 4 or 5 times now, and each time they turn out better! I'll admit, the first time they were very dry, and tasted a bit... not chocolatey enough but now, they are delightful.

The BEST thing about these brownies is that they are healthy. They have more protein then carbs, and are loaded with good fat and don't have any regular sugar in them. I think they are probably gluten free to, for those of you avoiding that.

I have these for breakfast, or post training, or something just for a snack between meals. Because of all the protein and good fat they are quite filling. Sometimes I bring a few to work when I know i won't have time between work and training to eat a proper meal, nothing sucks more then training on an empty stomach. Except maybe training after just drinking an entire large froster from macs. I imagine that would probably be pretty rough to, or all you can eat sushi. Ok, so maybe there are worse things, either way. These solve that problem!

I originally got this recipe from this website here: share your weigh but I've changed it so much it's not really recognizable anymore!

Without further ado here it is:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup egg whites
  • 3 scoops of chocolate protein powder
  • 1 can of black beans (rinsed thoroughly)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbps coconut oil
  • 4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/3 tsp backing powder
  • 1/4(ish) cup of plain 1% yogurt
  • 2 tbsp (or so) monin sugar free white chocolate syrup (or 1/4 cup of splenda, or sweetener of choice)
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
  • square cake pan
If you can't have dairy, skip the yogurt, and use only 2 scoops of protein powder.
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F
  2. Blend the beans till they are a paste. If you have a lame blender like mine that won't mix something that is mostly dry, put the egg whites and the beans in together.
  3. Put it all in a bowl and mix it up
  4. Grease the pan with some cooking spray, or some more coconut oil
  5. Pour it in
  6. Put it in the oven for about 25 minutes (then keep a close eye on it this time it took about 29 to be ready)
I cut them into 16 brownies.

each one should have about: 100 calories 8g of carbs, 4g of fat, 10g of protein, 2g of sugar and 69mg of sodium.

If you make these, let me know how they turn out! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That looks like quite the recipe.. a recipe for SUCCESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. applesauce is a great sub for dairy or oil in any recipe. it also keeps the moisture content about equal, where protien powder would make it drier. The recipe sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) The protein powder is really the flour substitute. I mentioned having only 2 scopes of protein powder when you take the dairy out, or else it will be to dry!

    ReplyDelete